A Few Shows to See on a Summer Day in the City
1. Black Acid Co-op: Justin Lowe and Jonah Freeman: at Deitch Projects (18 Wooster Street) in Soho. See art gallery rooms with holes in the walls leading to meth labs and melted mobile homes.
2. Sexy and the City at Yossi Milo Gallery: (525 West 25th Street) Part of the city wide NEW YOKR PHOTOGRAPHS, and includes photographers Diane Arbus, Bruce Davidson, Mitch Epstein, Nan Goldin, André Kertész, Joel Meyerowitz, Duane Michals, Tod Papageorge, Weegee, and Garry Winogrand- to name a few.
3. Dirk Skreber at Friedrich Petzel Gallery: (537 West 22nd Street) See smashed cars and a few paintings.
4. Colby Katz: Beauty Pageants & Sarah Wilson: Blind Prom: At Foley Gallery (547 W 27th Street, 5th floor). Photographs of a school for the blind’s prom and also photographs of very young beauty queens.
5. Heartbreak Hotel at Freight and Volume: (542 West 24th Street) Featuring paintings by Kim Dorland, Fanny Allie, Jim Lee, Eric White, and more.
6. Shane Hope-Your Mom Is Open Source: At Winkleman Gallery (637 West 27th Street). Kid handwriting and collage-like paintings.